Friday, January 1, 2010

It's Not Only A New Year, It's a New Decade

There have been a number of times over the past several months that I seriously contemplated adding to my blog; but it just didn't happen!

Today I read Gerri's new post and thought that I couldn't let the opportunity pass to make it my goal to post some thoughts myself.

It has been an eventful year to say the least in our world (Gerri's and mine) some medical challenges, some life challenges and as the year wound down three new grandchildren have blessed our lives. One significant development was the arrival of Tylan Wil Ashby born to Todd and Michelle. After being blessed with seven granddaughters we now have a grandson and the Ashby name will carry into another generation. I know that Ty will have to find his way to fit in with all the girls who all love spending time together; but I am sure he will be welcomed by all the girls and they'll have a special place for Ty in their hearts.

I am intent on living out my personal, mission, vision, and action plan which will be a work in progress but with some resolve to attend to specific areas in my life that need attention, mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually.

Having had a few days to do some reading and reflecting on ideas that I have come across let me share some of my thoughts.

The book "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom has some definite gems to think about. The byline of the book is: "an old man, a young man, and life's greatest lessons. The author Mitch was a student of Professor Morrie Schwartz. They are re-united after being out of touch for 16 years when Morrie is diagnosed with ALS. They agree to meet every Tuesday for as long as Morrie is able.

The book shares on a number of different topics but let me share just two:

1. Morrie shares "Everybody knows they are going to die, but nobody believes it." He contends that when you "Learn how to die, you will learn how to live."

Now as sobering as that is to think about it has merit. If we knew when we were going to die, we would all live differently than when as most of us do - we pretend that we are not going to die. Why not review your priorities in light of the fact we are all going to die?

2. The other thoughts are maybe not quite as sobering but contain some things to think about when it comes to marriage.

Morrie says - "there are a few rules I know to be true about love and marriage: If you don't respect the other person, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. If you don't know how to compromise, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. If you can't talk openly about what goes on between you, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. And if you don't have a common set of values in life, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. Your values must be alike."

There are some nuggets there worth thinking about and for me its a contemplative way to start the year.

My hope is that 2010 will be a year of personal and spiritual growth for each one individually and in our family units.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment