Thursday, January 14, 2010

What is Spiritual Formation?

This picks up on something I talked about a few days ago. I promised to talk about what spiritual formation is. What I am going to do is tell you what John Ortberg has to say it is in his latest book "the me I want to be" - becoming God's best version of you.

"There is an outer you - your body - that is being shaped all the time by the way you eat, drink, sleep, exercise, and live. You may do this well or poorly, intentionally or not, but it will happen. Then there is the inner you - your thoughts, desires, will, and character. This is being shaped all the time by what you see, read, hear, think and do. We call this inner you the spirit.

Spiritual formation is the process by which your inner self and character are shaped.

People sometimes speak as if spiritual formation is an optional activity that some religious people may pursue and others bypass. They think it is reserved for monks, mystics and missionaries. But that's not true.

Everyone has a spirit. Everyone's inner life is being formed - for better or worse.

We flourish when our spirits are rooted in and shaped by the Spirit of God - and God wants to do that in a way that uniquely fits us."

I don't know about you but I like the description and it helps me realize that is an opportunity and not an obligation to follow a set of rigid practices with the intent of trying to make me "more holy". Rather it is a day to day journey where I have choices in watching my intake of the things that I think, watch, read and things I talk about.

I thrive on the idea its a journey and I am a work in progress and thankfully God isn't finished with me yet. It also helps to know that I am unique and so are you. So there is no rigid prescribed formula that works for everyone.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment